October 9-13 is Coming Out Week and October 11 is National Coming Out Day. Every year SPECTRUM celebrates Coming Out Week with events Monday through Friday. Here are all of the events SPECTRUM is hosting throughout the week:
- Monday, October 9 | 3 to 6 p.m. | MSUM Campus Mall: SPECTRUM will be Tye-Dyeing and chalking sidewalks in the Campus Mall! Some supplies will be available, but you may and are encouraged to bring items you would like to dye.
- Tuesday, October 10 | 7 to 9 p.m. | Fox Recital Hall in the Center for the Arts: To celebrate Coming Out Week, MSUM students will be telling their coming out stories. For those who are not sharing their story or are an ally, are invited to show up to support your fellow LGBT+ peers and listen to their stories.
- Wednesday, October 11 | 6 to 8 p.m. | Library Porch: Join our own MSUM drag queen, Tequila Mockingbird, for Drag Show Bingo! Come win some amazing prizes and have a great time!
- Thursday, October 12 | 3 to 6 p.m. | Table Across from the C-Store in the CMU: We are selling Pride Buttons made by our very own, Jayce Branden. SPECTRUM’s Button Sale features over 40 button designs with multiple designs for sexualities, genders, pronouns, and ally button designs. Buttons will be sold 2 for $1.
- Thursday, October 12 | 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. | Library 103: SPECTRUM will be offering Safe Zone training for MSUM students and students will receive a door sticker at the end to show they completed the training. Seating is limited. Please reserve your seat to guarantee your place by emailing email@example.com.
- Friday, October 13 | 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. | CMU 203: Hayden Kristal will be presenting GaySL, an ASL workshop featuring LGBTQ+ sign language.
- Friday, October 13 | 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. | Gaede Stage: Hayden Kristal, a deaf, bisexual, Jewish, transgender activist and stand-up comedian, will be doing a comedy performance on Gaede Stage.
All are welcome to these events, LGBTQIA+ identifying and allies, and SPECTRUM hopes to see you throughout Coming Out Week to support the LGBTQIA+ community, the people who have been affected by discrimination and violence because of their identity, and your fellow peers and/or colleagues. Happy Coming Out Week, Dragons!