If traveling to the southern USA, the Caribbean, and South American countries over semester break, be prepared for the risk of Zika infection in both males and females.
Facts about Zika:
- Zika primarily spreads through infected mosquitoes.
- You can get Zika through sex.
- The best way to prevent Zika is to prevent mosquito bites.
- Zika infection during pregnancy can cause a serious birth defect called microcephaly that is a sign of incomplete brain development.
- New research suggests that Zika can be spread by sweat and tears.