Today (Tuesday, Jan. 21) from 1 to 4:30 p.m. in the Office of Sustainability, Hagen 111, will be an open house to celebrate the Sustainability Tracking and Rating System (STARS) placing MSUM in the “Silver” category for sustainability. STARS looks at various areas of sustainability, such as carbon footprint, student engagement, recycling and much more.
In the past four years, MSUM has:
- Decreased carbon footprint by 20 percent.
- Reduced water consumption by 10 million gallons.
- Decreased electric load by 25 percent.
- Started an undergraduate sustainability degree with seven different areas of emphases; contributing to the 46 courses MSUM offers relating to sustainability.
- Opened Office of Campus Sustainability and hired a Sustainability Coordinator.
- Started Green Dragons, a student organization on campus committed to bringing awareness to the community.
To find out how MSUM made these improvements, please visit the open house today.