September is Hunger Action Month! What does that mean?
One in nine people struggle with hunger in the United States. That is well over 35 million people who face food insecurity. Every day, food insecurities challenge individuals and families with unreliable access and/or insufficient quantity of nutritious food at affordable prices. According to Feeding America, “food banks are serving more people than ever – with an average increase of 50% across the country” because of the pandemic.
Local food banks, pantries, and soup kitchens are where communities are rallying together to stand up against hunger. Located in Fargo, ND, the Great Plains Food Bank supplies over 300 pantries, soup kitchens, and shelters with food to serve the people of North Dakota and Clay County of Minnesota. Feeding America estimates there are over 56,000 food insecure people in this area alone.
What is MSUM doing about hunger?
As MSUM Dragons, we are committed to acting upon our core values of grit, humility, and heart. Dragon Entertainment Group is hosting a Hunger Action Month themed Grocery Bag Bingo on September 22. This event will provide students with the chance to win non-perishable foods for their own shelves as well as the opportunity to learn more about hunger action in the Fargo-Moorhead community. With limited space in the ballroom, there will be two sessions of the event (7:00pm and 8:30pm) along with an on-line component offered via Zoom. Visit the event page on Dragon Central for more information.
Over 20 years ago, MSUM began a program called CleanStart, focused on benefitting the Rape & Abuse Crisis Center (RACC) of Fargo. The program’s name changed to Dragons Give in 2016 and has since expanded to include donations for the Great Plains Food Bank. This food and supply drive has donated over 3,000 pounds of food since 2016 and continues to collect nonviolent children’s toys, used cell phones, and toiletry items for the RACC. Dragons Give boxes will be stationed across campus throughout Homecoming.
Take action today!
Here are a few ways you can get involved to help your community:
- Thank volunteers and staff of your local food bank/pantry/shelter
- Visit Feeding America for more information on hunger facts and myths
- Host a food drive/fundraiser (Facebook fundraisers work too!)
- Become a regular food bank or food pantry volunteer
- Talk to your parents, friends, children about hunger in America
- Donate to Dragons Give, Feeding America, the Great Plains Food Bank, or other food banks/pantries/shelters
- Challenge yourself to take action via the suggestions on the Great Plains Food Bank’s Action Calendar (many actions can be done any month of the year!)
- Vote to feed everyone in America