The City of Moorhead has released flood preparation plans. Here’s the latest update from the City, with details for how you can help:
We’ve come a long way, Moorhead! In the past 10 years, 263 vulnerable homes have been bought out, 12.1 miles of permanent levees constructed, and other important mitigation projects completed. Wow!
Because of our flood mitigation progress, it’s estimated Moorhead needs 150,000 sandbags for the 2019 flood, a great contrast to the 2.5 million needed in 2009. A huge reduction, but unfortunately, sandbags don’t fill themselves. Moorhead needs your help!
Hours of Operation:
- Wednesday, March 27 – Saturday, March 30 – 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- • Sunday, March 31 – Noon – 9 p.m.
- • Monday, April 1 – Wednesday, April 3 (or until we meet our goal) – 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Volunteer Sign Up:
- Register online for one (or more!) 2-hour shift
- Groups of volunteers are especially encouraged to register in advance
- No internet? Sign up through our Call Center at 218.299.5300 during regular business hours
Location: Moorhead Sandbag Operations Center – 1313 30 Ave S (Moorhead Public Schools Operations Center)
More information is available at cityofmoorhead.com/flood, including bus routes for campuses and what to wear. See the full news article for detailed volunteer requirements and parking instructions.
Flood Call Center: 218.299.5300
If you have questions about flood preparations at MSUM, contact Ryan Nelson, Public Safety Director, at 218.477.5869.