In honor of Coming Out Week, SPECTRUM presents LGBT+ Advocate of the Day. Today’s advocate is Frida Kahlo.
Among Kahlo’s accomplishments, she:
- Was viewed as an icon of female creativity.
- Is remembered for her self-portraits, pain and passion, and bold, vibrant colors.
- Created 143 paintings, in which 55 are self-portraits.
- Is celebrated in Mexico for her attention to Mexican and indigenous culture and by feminists for her depiction of the female experience and form.
- Was openly bisexual and her works recognized gender and sexual diversity as legitimate objects of visual representation.
Also throughout this week, SPECTRUM is hosting events to celebrate Coming Out Week. Check us out on Facebook @MSUMSPECTRUM, on Twitter and Instagram @MSUM_SPECTRUM, and on DragonCentral and the Corq app!