In honor of Coming Out Week, SPECTRUM presents LGBT+ Advocate of the Day. Today’s advocate is Ellen DeGeneres.
Among DeGeneres’ accomplishments, she:
- Became the first lead in sitcom history to openly acknowledge her homosexuality on air in April 1997.
- Was named the 50th most powerful woman in the world by Forbes and number two on the World Pride Power list in 2015.
- Has hosted the Grammys, the Primetime Emmys, and the Academy Awards each more than once.
- Received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Obama for her contribution to the arts in November 2016.
- Has won 30 Emmys, 20 People’s Choice Awards, and numerous other awards for her work and charitable efforts.
Also throughout this week, SPECTRUM is hosting events to celebrate Coming Out Week. Check us out on Facebook @MSUMSPECTRUM, on Twitter and Instagram @MSUM_SPECTRUM, and on DragonCentral and the Corq app!