Ben Allison, a “visionary composer, adventurous improviser, and strong organizational force on the New York jazz scene,” will be an artist-in-residence at MSUM Feb. 8-9. The Ben Allison Band will perform Monday, Feb. 8 at 8 p.m. in the Center for the Arts Hansen Theatre. Admission is $10; free to students with ID (under 21 welcome). Tickets are available at the MSUM Box Office, 218.477.2271.
Allison has “emerged as a rising star over the past decade” (Jazz Times). With his groups The Ben Allison Band, Man Size Safe, Peace Pipe, and Medicine Wheel, Ben has toured extensively throughout North America, Europe and Brazil, winning fans and building new audiences with an adventurous yet accessible sound and a flair for the unexpected. Called “one of today’s best young jazz musicians” by the Boston Globe, he has released nine CDs of original music: Think Free (2009), Little Things Run the World (2008), Cowboy Justice (2006), Buzz (2004), Peace pipe (2002), Riding the Nuclear Tiger (2001), Third Eye (1999), and Medicine Wheel (1998) on Palmetto Records, and his 1996 debut Seven Arrows on the Koch Jazz label—all of which showcase Allison’s forward-thinking vision as a producer, composer, arranger and bassist and his hands-on approach to his craft. www.benallison.com
Schedule of Events
Monday, Feb. 8
- 4:30-5:30 p.m. Ben Allison Band Master Class, Hansen Theatre
- 8 p.m. Ben Allison Band Concert, Hansen Theatre
Tuesday, Feb. 9
- 10 a.m.-Noon Individual Master Classes
- Ben Allison-bass MC, Fox Recital Hall
- Steve Cardenas-guitar MC, Hansen
- Shane Endsley-trumpet MC, CA 100
- Rudy Royston-drum MC, Percussion Studio
- 3 p.m. Music Business Lecture, Fox Recital Hall
- 4:30-6:30 p.m. Combo Masterclass, Fox Recital Hall
All students and faculty are welcome to attend any of the master classes.