In honor of Coming Out Week, SPECTRUM presents LGBT+ Advocate of the Day. Today’s advocate is Laverne Cox.
Among Cox’s accomplishments, she:
- Is the first transgender woman of color to have a leading role on a mainstream scripted TV show.
- Was named one of Glamour magazine’s 2014 Women of the Year.
- Is one of The Grio’s 100 Most Influential African Americans.
- Won the Courage Award from the Anti-Violence Project.
- Is the first openly transgender woman to win a Daytime Emmy as an executive producer.
- Became the first openly trans person to appear on the cover of Time magazine 2014.
Also throughout this week, SPECTRUM is hosting events to celebrate Coming Out Week. Check us out on Facebook @MSUMSPECTRUM, on Twitter and Instagram @MSUM_SPECTRUM, and on DragonCentral and the Corq app!