This post is for those high school seniors out there who still have questions about what their next steps are to becoming a Dragon!
You only have a few weeks left of your high school career. Congratulations, you made it!
That means before you know it you will be headed off to school. You may be wondering what you should do or what you should bring. I have a list of 10 things you should do to prepare for coming to school this fall.
- Come to New Student Orientation and Registration. If you’ve been accepted into MSUM you will receive information about signing up for New Student Orientation. This is a day to learn more about MSUM and to register for classes so you will want to be here. You can sign up here if you haven’t already: www.mnstate.edu/admitted
- Contact your roommate to figure out what you should bring. You don’t want two microwaves and no dishes. So figure out who will bring what as far a shared items.
- Order your books. You can go to the bookstore website and figure out what books you need so you can order them online ahead of time. Then they will be ready to pick up when you get to campus. It’s one less thing to worry about once you get here!
- Figure out what to pack. You can fit a surprising amount of stuff in a dorm room, but you still probably won’t want to bring everything. If you have a lot of clothes consider bringing what you will need for the first few months. Then switch out warm weather clothes for cold weather clothes when you go home.
- Figure out how you will pay for school. It’s a good idea to know if you will need to accept loans or set up a payment plan before you get to school.
- Get organized. College can be busy with multiple classes, clubs, and a social life. If you are someone who struggles to stay organized, start working on it now. Getting a planner is a great way to stay on top of everything happening in your life.
- Familiarize yourself with your class schedule. Once you register for classes, you will know your schedule for the semester. Learn what time your classes are and what building they are in so you don’t have to panic your first day of class.
- Enjoy summer. Seriously. It will go by so much faster than you think! Take this time to relax and spend quality time with family and friends before you head off to school.
- Become familiar with campus. MSUM has a pretty small campus, and it will take you no time at all to learn where everything is. But it doesn’t hurt to look up a map and figure out where buildings are.
- GET EXCITED! College is an amazing time of meeting new people, learning new things, and growing as a person. You are going to have a blast here as a Dragon at MSUM.
Can’t wait to see you in the fall!